Tuesday, April 29, 2014

When In Doubt, Check It Out

In one of the health classes I teach, I practically preach that if someone is doubting whether or not they are okay, it's worth getting it checked out. And if someone thinks that something is wrong, absolutely do not pass go, do not collect $200 - go directly to the ER or urgent care. If it involves any sort of chest pain, shortness of breath, or loss of consciousness - again, absolutely ER.

So on Sunday when I was experiencing severe chest pain and dizziness, I actually debated what to do. Of course, I kept thinking, those who can, do and those who can't teach. I can't follow my own advice. It also didn't help that my partner (an RN and soon to be MSN/FNP - that's a family nurse practitioner) was telling me that i just needed a nap. When the lower back pain in my kidney area started, I knew it was time to go to the dreaded ER. They're still figuring out what's wrong (I see my doctor on Wednesday) but they ruled out the emergency bad stuff (heart attack, blood clot, etc).


My point is, if you are in doubt if you're okay (or a loved one) or if you think something is wrong, then please please please get it checked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment